Author Topic: Where We Live: Arlington Ridge is exerting a pull on its residents  (Read 364 times)

chhaterdhari

• Administrator

Many people who move to Arlington Ridge, says Maggie Gaffen, a four-decade resident who’s raised a family there, find that they never want to leave.

Among the many reasons, she says, are the South Arlington neighborhood’s proximity to the District and its compact size. “It’s very small, and people get to know each other,” said Gaffen, communications director of the Arlington Ridge Civic Association (ARCA).

Gaffen has grown so fond of the community that she stayed there long after her children moved away. “I have friends that I’ve known forever — it’s that kind of neighborhood,” she said. “We’re all growing old together.”

“I plan to stay in my house until they carry me out,” she added.

Arthur Fox, ARCA president and a 20-year resident, agreed. “There’s not a lot of turnover,” Fox said, adding that the community attracts primarily families and retirees. “Once people get here, they like it and they stay. It’s a real family kind of a place.”

While some neighboring communities are dominated by apartments and high-rises, Arlington Ridge is distinguished by vast green open space and brick center-hall Colonials, Fox said.

“If you want to live in a single-family home with a nice back yard and good schools, Arlington Ridge is the most wonderful place to find yourself,” Fox said, adding that the community has 1,200 single-family houses. “We have the best of the suburban and urban lifestyle.”

A 9/11 connection: The Hume School, built in 1891, is the oldest standing school building in Arlington County and the current site of the county historical society. Classes continued in the school until December 1956. The building is visible in the opening shots of the 1987 movie “No Way Out.”