Recipe of Sugar Zwieback
February 21, 2017, 9:58 AM
1 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Heat milk in a small saucepan until just starting to bubble. Remove from heat; stir in butter, honey and salt. Set aside and let cool. Set aside 2 teaspoons sugar. Stir remaining sugar into milk mixture. Let cool to room temp.
- In a large bowl, combine yeast and lukewarm water. Set aside 5 minutes for yeast to soften. Beat cooled milk mixture, egg, 4 cups flour, and nutmeg into yeast mixture.
- Knead dough in a bowl, adding up to 1/2 cup more flour if necessary, until a smooth, soft dough forms. Divide dough into 8 balls 3 inches in diameter. Place balls 4 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets; pat into 4 inch rounds. Brush tops of rounds with water and sprinkle with reserved sugar. Set aside, lightly covered with kitchen towels, about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Bake raised rounds 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven; leave oven on. Let cool on sheets 10-15 minutes, or until cool enough to handle.
- With a serrated knife, cut each round into six 1/2-inch slices. Place slices, cut sides down, on cookie sheets and return to oven for 5 minutes. Turn slices and bake 5 to 7 minutes longer, or until golden on both sides. Turn off heat and leave in unopened oven until cool, about 45 minutes. Store in tightly covered container.
This entry was posted in Recipe, Useful Information